HelioScope allows you to use both Google Maps and Bing Maps, but sometimes you may want better images than what are available through those providers. If you have a Pictometry Online or CONNECTExplorer account you can easily upload photos and high-resolution imagery into HelioScope using KML files from Pictometry. The following guide describes how to save and upload a geo-located KML file from Pictometry Online.
- Search for your site in Pictometry.
- Set the view to straight up and down by clicking the small black dot under the compass (top-right of the screen)
- Click Preferences and scroll down to Export Image to change your file type to KML (LatLonBox)
- Click the exit door icon on the bottom right of the page to save your high-resolution image.
- You can choose to export just the visible area or the entire image
- Create a project in HelioScope based on the same address as before.
- Navigate to the advanced tab and select Overlays. Click the Upload Overlay button and search for the KML file created by Pictometry. Click Save to upload your image
- You can now toggle the overlay on and off using the blue “eye” button.
- You’re finished! Now you can toggle your overlay on and off as needed. Your updated image can be used as a base for your designs and it will be included on your final report. You deserve an ice cream sandwich; we’ll be here when you get back.